Sunday 15 May 2016

Steamed Sponge Cake (Chinese Ma Lai Goa)

With my Chinese Malaysian heritage, I grew up with this steamed sponge cake! It's my dad's all time favourite, and a lot of Yum Cha places serve this as a dessert too! With 10 seconds to mix, and 25 minutes to steam - this is just soooo easy to make at home!


Steamed Sponge Cake (Chinese Ma Lai Goa)

I've always wanted to steam a cake with the Thermomix so thought I would try off with this! It has a light sweet caramel flavour and is nice and moist from being steamed. It is light and 'bouncy' and it isn't as crumbly as baked sponge cakes.

A lot of the recipes I've seen are with have ingredients which are not very common in Australia, and have evaporated milk (with an amount that would use up only a portion of a tin - and I haaaate having half a tin of stuff leftover!). Another uncommon ingredient is double action baking powder, which I haven't been able to find in shops in Sydney, and I have only been able to find online so I have just used normal baking powder (McKenzie's brand).

I have adapted and converted a Steamed Sponge Cake recipe from The Honk Kong Cookery with ingredients that I have at home, and so it is easily made in the Thermomix!

The cooking time is based on 8 x silicon Dariole moulds from Alyce Alexandra. You could also use ramekins or silicon cupcake moulds instead.

STEAMED SPONGE CAKE (CHINESE MA LAI GOA)

Ingredients:

160 grams plain flour
100 grams brown sugar
90 grams milk
20 grams custard powder
40 grams oil (light tasting, I use Rice Bran oil)
2 eggs
20 grams baking powder
Handful of sultanas to top

Method:

1. Add all ingredients into bowl - mix 10 seconds/Speed 5.
2. Pour mixture into 8 x silicon moulds, top with sultanas, and place into Varoma steaming tray.
3. Wash out bowl, and add 1 Litre of water.
4. Place the Varoma steaming tray in position - steam 25 minutes/Varoma/Speed 3.
5. Take the lid off to cool for a few minutes, then take the cakes out of the mould to cool further (...or to eat!).

This is great eaten fresh, kept in the fridge and eaten cold (or warmed up in the microwave), and also can be frozen and defrosted nicely.


Add all ingredients into bowl


 Mix 10 seconds/Speed 5


Pour mixture into 8 x silicon moulds, top with sultanas, and place into Varoma steaming tray.


Wash out bowl, and add 1 Litre of water.

Place the Varoma steaming tray in position - steam 25 minutes/Varoma/Speed 3.


Take the lid off to cool for a few minutes, then take the cakes out of the mould to cool further...


..or to eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment