Tuesday 24 May 2016

Cheat's Chicken Curry Laksa

This is the ONLY Malaysian dish in my repertoire!! I'm Chinese/Malaysian born in Malaysia, and moved over to Australia when I was 3 (so I identify myself Australian), however will always come back to my heritage and culture! This is what I consider true comfort food! And my meat and 3 veg loving husband also loves this as this is soooo tasty!!!


Cheat's Chicken Curry Laksa

This is the recipe that everyone in my family uses for our laksa hit! We have tried A LOT of different curry laksa pastes (including homemade) but the Osha Curry Laksa Paste wins hands down as THE BEST curry laksa paste!!! You can get them in 1 kg or 180 gram bottles - this recipe uses half a 180 gram bottle per batch. I haven't seen this in Coles/Woolies but buy it from my local Chinese grocery shop. You can also get Chinese fish cakes/balls at your local Chinese grocery shop to add to the soup.

The storebought roast chicken is a trick my sister-in-law taught us, it adds a depth of flavour and the whole chicken is used! One x roast chicken actually gives me 2 x meals - I usually buy a roast chicken for a quick and easy lunch with salad and rolls, and the leftover bits of chicken and bones is then used in this laksa! 

This is one of my few regularly cooked non-Thermomix dishes! I am all for the Thermomix if it makes things quicker and easier, however this is just so easy on the stovetop - why change a good thing, right?!!?

I love this for lunch or dinner, and it feeds a crowd!!! This is also great to freeze in portions if you want a quick heat up mid-week meal!

CHEAT'S CHICKEN CURRY LAKSA

Ingredients:

1 x roast chicken (deboned, with meat and bones set aside separately)

1 litre chicken stock
1 litre water
400 grams coconut milk
90 grams 'Osha' Curry Laksa Paste (half of a 180gm glass jar)
Noodles of your choice 
Optional
Bean sprouts/vegies of choice
Fish cakes/balls
Top with spring onion or coriander

Method:

1. Place chicken bones, water and chicken stock in a large pot. Bring to the boil, then reduce to low heat and place pot lid on. Cook for a minimum 1 hour (the longer the better!)

2. When ready to serve, prepare noodles as per instructions on the packet. Place noodles in bowl with shredded roast chicken and (optional) bean sprouts/vegies.
3. Pour the stock mixture through a sieve into a medium to large pot to catch the bones. Place chicken stock back onto stove and add coconut milk, Osha Curry Laksa Paste, and (optional) fish cakes/balls, and bring soup to the boil.
4. Serve over noodles and enjoy!


Ingredients for the Chicken Curry Laksa soup!

 


Place chicken bones, water and chicken stock in a large pot







Bring to the boil, then reduce to low heat...



 ...and place pot lid on. Cook for a minimum 1 hour (the longer the better!)




When ready to serve, prepare noodles as per instructions on the packet. Place noodles in bowl with shredded roast chicken and (optional) bean sprouts/vegies





Pour the stock mixture through a sieve into a medium to large pot to catch the bones





 Place chicken stock back onto stove...



 ...and add coconut milk, Osha Curry Laksa Paste, and (optional) fish cakes/balls, and bring soup to the boil.











Serve over noodles and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment