Thursday 24 March 2016

Coconut Ice Cupcakes

These were my 'bring to the office' birthday cupcakes :)



Coconut Ice Cupcakes

They consist of a vanilla coconut cupcake, torched meringue and topped with a small piece of coconut ice and edible glitter.

COCONUT ICE CUPCAKES

1. Cupcakes:

Made the day before - I made 30 second cupcakes as per the recipe and added an extra 50 grams desiccated coconut. I cooked the cupcakes at 150 degrees for 20 minutes to get a 'flatter' cupcake top for decorating. Once cooled, I stored the cupcakes in an air tight container. (http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/baking-sweet-recipes/30-second-cupcakes/225443)



Cooked at 150 degrees for 20 minutes to get a 'flatter' cupcake top

2. Coconut Ice:

Made the day before - I made the coconut ice as per recipe and let it set in the fridge (http://thermobliss.com/thermomix-coconut-ice/)



Coconut Ice set in fridge and cut into small pieces

3. Meringue:

Made on the day - This was the first time I've ever made meringue in the Thermomix and it was AMAZING!! I used icing sugar instead of milling the sugar in Step 1, as I wanted my bowl super clean and dry for the meringue, so started straight on Step 2. I have made MANY meringues in my Kitchenaid and the most important thing is to have a clean and dry bowl, so I felt that there was less room for failure if Step 1 was omitted (and my bowl had been drying overnight so I knew that it was clear of any water remnants).
(http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/desserts-sweets-recipes/meringues/94467)



Thermomix Meringue

4. Assembly:

In the morning (before taking these cupcakes to work), I made the meringue, roughly placed it in the centre of the cupcakes (leaving a little bit of the cupcake visible) using a up and down motion to create small peaks. I kept the meringue to the centre of the cupcakes so that it would be easily transported, so the meringue wouldn't rub on the other cupcakes. I then torched the meringue with a kitchen blow torch. I then placed a small piece of coconut ice to the side of the meringue (the meringue would collapse if it was placed right on top) and sprinkled with edible glitter.



Place in the centre of the cupcakes and use an up and down movement to create peaks


Torch meringue with a kitchen blow torch


Blow torch the meringue on the tops of all cupcakes


Add coconut ice and sprinkle with edible glitter :)




No comments:

Post a Comment