Sunday 6 September 2015

Apple and Custard Scroll Pullapart Log

For Father's Day, my husband requested an apple and custard 'scroll thing' like the ones from the bakery.
 
 
Father's Day Breakfast
Apple and Custard Pullapart Scroll Log
 

I wanted it to be fresh for his breakfast on Father's Day morning, however I didn't want to be stuck in the kitchen in the morning so I could have play time with the boys with my husband in the morning.
 
So, I made it the night before, with the proving and baking on Father's Day morning (which doesn't require much of my time in the kitchen).
 
I made the custard scrolls with the bread and dough as how I usually make them as described in my previous post: http://thermotwinning.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/custard-scrolls.html
 
However, this time, with the custard, I added steamed apple, sultanas and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
 
 
Dough ready for its custard, steamed apple, sultana and cinnamon filling
 
The steamed apple (which I feel like I am a pro at, with months and months of steaming fruit to puree for the boys) was cooked as follows:
 
STEAMED APPLE (to be used for scrolls)
 
Ingredients:
 
2 x Granny Smith Apples
 
Method:
 
1. Peel and core the apples and dice into 1cm cubes.
2. Place in steaming basket and cook 12 minutes/Varoma/Speed 3.
3. Place in a container to cool.


Steamed apple
 
I rolled the whole rectangular piece of dough from the bottom to create a big cylindrical log shape.
 
 
 Rolled out dough with custard, steamed apple, sultanas and cinnamon
 
 
Roll dough from bottom to the top
 
 
Keep rolling up!
 
 
All rolled up
 
Then placed it in my baking tray (it was too long so ended up cutting it in half), and with scissors, cut through the width of the dough (leaving about an inch at the bottom, and pushed the dough upwards and downwards on the tray, alternating to create a pattern. I had seen this done before but I have no idea what this is dough technique is called!
 
 
Cut through dough leaving about an inch of dough at the bottom attached (approx. 2cm in width)
 
 
Alternate between pushing  dough upwards or downwards
 
 
 Dough 'shaping' finished!
 
I then plastic wrapped it and put in the fridge overnight.
 

Plastic wrapped and ready to put in fridge overnight 
 
On Father's day morning, I took out the bread out from the fridge. 


Bread dough left overnight

Putting it in the fridge slows down the activation of the yeast, so the bread had doubled in size. I wanted it slightly proved more, so proved it in the oven with a hot water bath for 30 mins. I then topped it with flaked almonds and baked the bread for 30-35 minutes.

 
Proofed a further 30 minutes then topped with flaked almonds
 

Fresh out of the oven

After about 10 minutes out of the oven, I took it out onto a wire rack (to avoid condensation at the bottom forming in the tray when cooling down).

 
Apple and Custard Pullapart Scroll Log

Was a great start to Father's Day morning, the 'scroll' parts easily pull off from the loaf for easy eating, and it tastes and looks great!! I still prefer the fluffiness of individual scrolls, however this looks much more attractive like a bakery and would be great to make and take to a friends/family's house for a morning/afternoon tea. I also love that the overnight preparation worked, so that when I am lacking time in the morning, I can pre-prepare the bread at night before bed!!

 
Apple and Custard Pullapart Scroll Log being 'pulled apart'
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment