Saturday 8 August 2015

Creamy Chorizo Pasta (non Thermomix recipe)

No matter how amazing the Thermomix is, you can't beat a good pan fried crunchy Chorizo! ...sorry Thermie! :(

I have tried chorizo pasta in the Thermomix (the one off the Basic Cookbook TM5 chip) and the Thermomix just blitzes it all up... it's just not the same...yes, super tasty, but it's just a bit 'dog foody'... some things just aren't meant to be blitzed up...

This is my 'signature' creamy chorizo pasta sauce that I make about once a week for my family, and the leftovers are even tastier for lunch/dinner the next day.

 
Creamy Chorizo Pasta

We also use the leftovers to put inside our $7.50 Kmart Sandwich Jaffle Maker with some cheese. So so so good!!


Chorizo Pasta Jaffle

You can use any type of good quality Chorizo, but I only use the Barossa Fine Foods brand which I get from the Costco deli section, as I find it the tastiest with the right amount of spiciness. It's probably on a medium scale for spiciness which gives an added depth to the flavours but not unbearable that you're sipping water in between, however it would be way too spicey for the kids.

CREAMY CHORIZO PASTA

4 - 6 servings

Ingredients

2 tbsp rice bran oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 red onion (sliced)
500 grams good quality Chorizo - approx. 4 (sliced lengthways, then chopped up into 1cm pieces widthwise)
2 x 400 grams tin of diced tomatoes
1 tbsp sugar
200 mls thickened cream
1 tsp dried oregano
A handful of chopped fresh parsley
(Optional) 1 tbsp Johnny's Garlic Spread & Seasoning
(Optional) Salt and pepper to taste

Method

1. In a medium to large frying pan, heat up the rice bran oil on high heat.
2. Add the minced garlic and fry till browned.
3. Add the red onion and fry till browned/caramelised.
4. Add the chorizo and fry till browned/crispy and slightly shrunken in size.
 
Added Chorizo before browning


Chorizo after browning

5. Add the diced tomatoes and sugar, reduce to a low heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the thickened cream and keen simmering for another 10 minutes.


Simmering Sauce

7. Add the oregano, parsley and Johnny's seasoning and simmer on low until ready to serve.

Serve with pasta. This sauce is perfect for 1 x standard packet of pasta. I stir through the whole batch of pasta with the sauce so there's an even distribution (rather than how some people individually serve the cooked pasta and spoon the sauce on top of it)

Note 1: I find that the Barossa chorizo has enough saltiness/spiciness so I don't need to season with salt and pepper.

Note 2: Johnny's Garlic Spread and Seasoning is one of my favourite finds at Costco. I don't actually like it as a garlic bread spread (I prefer real garlic and butter), but it gives that something special when seasoning my pasta sauces and mashed potato.

 
Johnny's Garlic Spread and Seasoning

Tip: To avoid wastage with the tinned tomatoes (there is always some that gets stuck on the side of the tin), add some water into about 1/4 of the tin, swirl around and pour into the sauce.

I make this in the afternoon before the kids bedtime routine, so that after they go to bed I just need to boil up the pasta, which I love freshly cooked and al dente.

No comments:

Post a Comment